Thanks Harold. Will check out the patch.

The scp "problem" w/ transfer rates that don't go above 8 MB/sec turns out
to be a CPU bottleneck. Our z9-109 doesn't have any crypto hardware so all
the encryption/decryption is being done in software. My speculation about
there being an I/O bottleneck due to scp not using cached files is
incorrect - caching is used, but the CPU approaches 50% for each of the two
virtual servers involved (sender and receiver), which kinda swamps my
single IFL engine. %-)

Best regards,
      Mark

             Harold Grovesteen
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
             r.com>                                                     To
             Sent by: Linux on         LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
             390 Port                                                   cc
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
             IST.EDU>                                              Subject
                                       Re: Hipersocket Performance Problem
                                       on SLES 9
             01/19/2007 04:55
             AM

             Please respond to
             Linux on 390 Port
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
                 IST.EDU>

 From James Melin's 12/14/2006 post:

Mark, I saw something similar when we first went to SLES-9 (64 bit).  We
had MTU sizes being negotiated down to an idiotic packet size of 1492.
Whether or not this has to do with how our OSA is configured I never did
learn. Search for stuff with hipersockets and MTU in the archives for the
particulars.

We reported it to Novell. They eventually managed to test on SLES 9 under
z/Series and  eventually issued a patch. They sent us this file:

iputils-ss021109-147.2.PTF.184411.0.s390.rpm

I don't know whether or not this file is GA but it touched MANY IP related
items, indicating that the problem was pervasive.  Once we applied it our
MTU negotiation problem went away. It may or may not have bearing on your
situation, but I offer the information to any and all that might find it
relevant.

-J