I'll second this. In 20+ years of running VM, I can remember only two
cases where something worked differently 2nd level than it did 1st
level, and in at least one case, there was a reason for it.

Unless you really have to be 197.34% paranoid about such things (you're
launching missiles or running 47 zillion pacemakers or something like
that), you're plenty safe testing 2nd level. It's lots less hassle, and
the ability to do testing during the day is just too cool to pass up.