On Wednesday, 01/31/2007 at 03:02 EST, David Boyes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> I remember the uproar when IBM first introduced them (I think late in
> SP5 or early VM/ESA; don't remember precise dates). I can use them, but
> they aren't as effective for me as a good description. Maybe my brain's
> wired differently. I've been accused of that often enough...8-).

RRTs are meant only to describe, not explain, the syntax of the command.

The relationships, if any, among the various operands and options are left
to the prose you so love.  :-)  It is far too difficult to visually convey
the dependencies or orthogonality of the various options.

Though as soon as z gets a 3d visor (3DV) and 'hand motion interpreter'
(HMI) we might be able to do FILEDEF by using some of the recent
breakthroughs in multidimensional visualization.  (Hey - if the
motherboards can have a dozen layers, why not syntax diagrams?)

Alan Altmark
z/VM Development
IBM Endicott