On Friday, 02/23/2007 at 08:34 CST, "Roach, Dennis"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Is there a way to get the VM 5.2 user ID or the z series LPAR name under
Linux?
> What I would like to do is use this to determine the hostname and the IP

> address of the Linux system, instead of having to change it in each one.

1. Use a layer 2 VSWITCH and put a DHCP server on it (see prior posts
about needed Linux qeth config changes)
2. Assign a unique MACPREFIX to your system in SYSTEM CONFIG.  The
MACPREFIX is the high-order 3 bytes of the MAC address.
3. Predefine the MACID on the NICDEF in the directory.  This is is the
low-order 3 bytes of the MAC address.
4. Concatenate the MACPREFIX and MACID to get the MAC address of that
particular virtual NIC.  Put that information in the DHCP configuration
for static assignment.

Given MACPREFIX 020001 and MACID 000050:

host alan {
   hardware ethernet 02:00:01:00:00:50;
   fixed-address 192.168.1.50;
}
-- or --
host alan {
   hardware ethernet 40:00:80:00:00:C0;
   fixed-address 192.168.1.50;
}

(I can't remember whether the VM-specified MAC address is reversed by the
time it reaches the canonical format or not.)

If you already have a DHCP server on the LAN segment (even if not on VM),
add the MAC address/IP info to that server instead.  (I haven't seen any
dhcpd config options to limit the MAC addresses it will serve.)

Alan Altmark
z/VM Development
IBM Endicott