> David, thank you for your feedback and sense of humour.
> Nothing like a silly question when you recognize you know nothing and
> assume nothing.

No problem. People laugh at me all the time. 8-)

> If I take an application running on SUN/Solaris 10 with Oracle 10g,
> mostly some scripts for batch processing, plus Oracle with PL/SQL
> stored procedures and take it to OpenSolaris, I just have to copy.   I
> assume for my batch calling Cobol, I would just re-compile.   In other
> words, a trivial task.  correct?

Assuming the availability of appropriate compilers and Oracle, etc, yes.
The OpenSolaris port we're working on does NOT interpret SPARC or Intel
binary instructions (although that's not impossible, just harder than we
want to take on in our unpaid spare time), so you would have to have
compilers, etc that knew how to emit 390 binaries.

Fortunately, recent drops of OpenSolaris have removed most (if not all)
oddball requirements for non-GNU compiler and linker tools (and our
patches remove a bunch more cases), so most of the GNU compiler suite is
immediately available on recompile as well. First stage builds of the OS
are done with a cross-compiler on a SPARC64 machine, then we're
self-hosted from there on.