>>> On Fri, Mar 2, 2007 at  5:18 PM, in message
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Clark,
Douglas" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
-snip-
> The only piece of information I have been able to uncover -  states
> "DB2COMM and SVCENAME" are setup automatically" but it seemed to me only
> to apply with the installation of DB2 not DB2 Connect.  It is not my
> intention to run DB2 on the zLinux system.  I only want it to serve as a
> gateway for distributed systems (PC workstations, application servers,
> etc) to use in order to read/update DB2 tables on the mainframe.  Does

I understood that from your first email.  You don't need to keep repeating it,
just because one person's reply missed that fact.

> anyone know how to get this configured -  if it is possible.

There should have been some sort of installation documentation from IBM.  If
you didn't get that, you should find out why.  Regardless, that doesn't change
the fact that to accept incoming connections from systems outside the Linux
LPAR, _something_ (or several somethings) need to be listening on one or more
TCP/IP ports (I doubt they're using UDP, but you never know).  If nothing is
listening on the ports your incoming connections expect to use, that's a big
problem.  The output from "netstat -lnp" will show what ports do actually have
something listening on them.  For example, it is possible that you need to
start the daemons that are supposed to be listening, but without the
documentation, you might not know what those are or how to do it.

> If it is possible to get this going, I might be able to justify spending
> the $25K to get zVM to manage Linux and expand the Linux base here at my
> site.

That's why we're all here, to help you and everyone else do just that.