Thank you for sharing. I'll look for it to wander in to our mail server shortly.

And I susepct your code is not as ugly as my code. I still have cobol damage.

             "Romanowski, John (OFT)"
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
             Sent by: Linux on 390 Port
             <LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU>
LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU

                                                                   cc

             03/08/2007 11:16 AM
                                                              Subject
                                                                     Re: Root
file system on ramdisk

                            Please respond to
               Linux on 390 Port <LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU>

Jim,
I've emailed you the Bash script (it's only my 2nd Bash script so be
nice ;)

The script needs a SLES9 31- or 64-bit (it handles either) to run on and
an output ECKD mdisk at address 0.0.ded1;
ded1 doesn't have to be online or formatted, the script handles all
that; ded1 mdisk has to be large enough to hold the used part of the
copied system; eg if your SLES9 is 2GB used disk space and 2GB free,
then ded1 needs 2GB.
My 31-bit SLES9 rescue system fits on 1600 cyls, the 64-bit on 1800
cyls. I haven't had time to invest in paring it down smaller: disk is
cheap compared to time.

the rescue system on ded1 is bootable when the script ends, nothing
further needed, just LINK uzr ded1 ded0 RR and IPL ded0 (it expects ded0
is the read-only address)