From: Linux on 390 Port on behalf of Moeur Tim C
Sent: Thu 3/8/2007 4:48 PM
To: LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
Subject: Re: Help with Virtual IP's.

To anyone in the midst of composing a reply, thank you, but I've figured
out the solution.   To those following this thread the solution lies in
a command:

        qethconf vipa add vipaaddress device

I ran the command and now my vipa address is pingable every where.

Tim

        I'm setting up VIPA's, zebra, quagga, and ospfd under my Redhat
AS 4 zLinux running under VM 5.2   It nearly works, but not quite and
I'm hoping to get some insight from this list group.

        I have an environment with two OSA's into a single Vswitch.   On
the zlinux machine I have two devices:

        eth0            10.1.100.17
        Dummy0  10.0.17.10

        Both devices start and can be pinged from within the zlinux
machine.  Pings from the zlinux machine to anything on my network all
work.

         -- But --
        10.1.100.17 is pingable from outside the zlinux machine but on
my network (i.e, my desktop)
        10.0.17.10 is not pingable from outside the zlinux machine.

         -- Except --

        10.0.17.10 is pingable from a sister zLinux machine (a guest of
the same VM).  Both use the same vswitch.

        I've talked to my network guys and they report that the ospfd
daemon is working properly.  They see it as a neighbor router and more
so they see a learned route table entry of:

        10.0.17.0/24  10.1.100.17

        It appears that my pings for 10.0.17.10 are indeed being
properly routed to the real address of 10.1.100.17, but after that I
can't tell what becomes of them.  Thanks in advance