From: Mark Post <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
Sent: Thursday, March 8, 2007 4:58:21 PM
Subject: Re: What is vnc

>>> On Thu, Mar 8, 2007 at  5:57 PM, in message
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Warren Taylor
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> For my RHEL4 on a VM guest, all I can see is using emacs through putty to do
> our editing. (we are a heavy editing environment). I have managed to used
> gedit from a linux desktop but that was somewhat painful and now refuses to
> work at all (but I don't really miss its instability). Am I stuck with putty
> and emacs?

There are probably more editors available for Linux than just about anything
else.  (I think Debian packages 42 of them, or some such large number.)  There
are the vi clones, such as vim or elvis.  Then there's jed, joe, THE (can be
made to look like XEDIT), and probably many more besides.

If, by "heavy editing environment" you mean a software development shop, you
may want to look into some of the various IDEs that are available.  Myself, I
would tend to go with a Linux desktop and mounting an NFS export from the
system where the files need to live.