On Thu, 2007-03-08 at 17:38 -0800, LJ Mace wrote:
> The server gets the kill signal and stops but never
> reboots  .

I see this issue in the following circumstances:

* z/VM up to (including) 5.1
* 64-bit Linux (SLES 9 in my case)
* more than one virtual CPU

"shutdown -r" finishes, a CP message about the VM being placed in CP
mode is displayed, and the guest just does nothing -- no reboot.

I believe that later versions fix this -- but (sheepishly) I can't
recall whether it's later versions of Linux or z/VM.  I do know that a
z/VM 5.2 system I worked on recently did not exhibit the behaviour, i.e.
shutdown -r worked perfectly.

Cheerio,
Vic Cross

believed to be clean.