Peter E. Abresch Jr. - at Pepco wrote:
I have analyzed the LINUXP01 memory usage over last week. I noticed that between the hours of 04:00 – 04:30 AM every morning is when the largest swap increase occurs. 04:15 AM is when some Linux housekeeping starts. These tasks complete in about 3-5 minutes. These tasks require memory and Linux will swap out memory not being used. The memory that is being swapped out is from WebSphere. This is normal Linux process. What is interesting is that this memory is never swapped back in. As the first graph depicts, we see a jump in swap space usage every morning during the housekeeping process. Every day shows another increase in swap space utilization and a corresponding decrease in WebSphere resident memory size about the same time as shown in the second graph.
The swap space usage cannot be used as indication whether or not pages are swapped back in: when a page gets swapped out for the first time, it gets a swap slot assigned. This is reflected as swap usage increase. Once it gets swapped back in, it is treated as swap cache: we have the page in memory _and_ on disk. This has two advantages: - if the page does not get changed ("dirty"), we don't need to swap it out again - we can just discard it because we have an up-to-date copy on disk. - if we need to swap it out again, the page does already have a location on disk assigned which removes overhead for housekeeping swap pages when swapping the same page in and out over and over again.

If you look at /proc/meminfo the value "SwapCached:" indicates how much was swapped out before and was brought back in. If you substract SwapCached from the swap usage, you get the number you're looking for: how much does reside on disk that is not present in memory.

Since the major portion of the swap space utilization is never brought back in, it is obviously not needed. Is this indicative of too much Java heap size which never forces garbage collection? Is there a “memory creep” condition in WebSphere, WebSphere’s JAVA, or one of the applications running under WebSphere? Are the trees blocking my view of the forrest?

> What can I conclude from this? All comments and suggestions are welcome. > The Linux guest size is 768 meg and the Java heap size is min 50 and 700
> max.
I don't know about the java internal housekeeping, therefore I cannot do a well-founded statement on this question. I would expect that the jave runtime does page-in all of the memory over time when workload demands it.

so long,
Carsten
--
Carsten Otte has stopped smoking: Ich habe in 10 Monate, 2 Tage und 20 Stunden schon 1.472,80 Euro gespart anstatt 6.136,70 Zigaretten zu kaufen.