Hi, everybody...

David Boyes wrote:
Now, for the rest of us in the dark, what we we do with that function?
Marcy Cortes

Some examples:

Write applications that talk to CP basic services (like *RPI) in Linux,
allowing one to do things like write authentication servers that talk to
PAM and let CP do remote password authentication against AD or Kerberos.

Or simply have CP do the talking to the authenticating servers
directly...no need to invoke another O/S simply to implement this
function....
Write terminal multiplexing services that can map SSH connections to
linemode virtual machine consoles so that we can finally do a decent SSH
server for CMS.

Or simply have an SSH server for CMS.....:-)

Write a interface for the existing CMS TCPIP clients to talk to a modern
IP stack in a Linux guest instead of the elderly Pascal one that's
shipped with VM TCPIP.

Or simply have IBM upgrade the native VM TCP/IP stack to support the
needed features...no need ion have yet another O/S installed on VM to do
such things....

Implement APPC over IUCV to allow Linux to natively talk to SFS, so we
can get a modern NFS server for CMS data.

Directly access VM spool data from Linux w/o going through I/O emulation
with the virtual rdr/punch via *SPL.

To solve what existing problem? Why does Linux need to access the CP
spool, other than as a producer of spool data (prt, pun)?

The list is pretty much open-ended. Now that someone has written a IUCV
interface that the PTBs are willing to accept, we can get on with better
VM integration.

Yes, I am playing devil's advocate here, but I am concerned that we are
letting the fact that Linux now runs on z/VM color our approaches to
solving these types of problems....not every problem with z/VM can or
should be solved by doing something on Linux. this is especially true
with adding new function to the VM TCP/IP stack....almost all of the
clients I work with want to see IBM add new functionality to the VM
stack (e.g., better support for IPv6) by simply updating the existing
TCP/IP code; they do not want to have to purchase and install another
o/s (here Linux) simply to get some functions that should be provided in
the base.

Have a good one....

DJ