I created an IPL CD and loaded it from the HMC. It got to the message
"RAMDISK: compressed image found at block 0" and it seems to lock up.

Russ

-----Original Message-----
From: Linux on 390 Port [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
Mark Post
Sent: Wednesday, March 28, 2007 9:54 AM
To: LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
Subject: Re: Slackware IPL Tape

>>> On Wed, Mar 28, 2007 at 10:34 AM, in message
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
,
"Jones, Russell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I am in the process on installing Slackware 10.0 on an LPAR. I have
> successfully created an IPL tape, but I would like to know if those
IPL
> tape files can be burned to a CD to load from the HMC CD drive, or
> written to DASD so I can load from disk. The tape is becoming a little
> cumbersome.

Yes, they can.  Take a look at the slack390-10.0/kernels/slack390.ins
file.  When you create the CD, make sure the fully qualified names
/path/to/filename, are relative to the location of the slack390.ins
file.  So, the simplest thing to do is put them all in one directory,
just as the sample was created.

The other thing you can do, if your network firewalls will allow it, is
to IPL from an FTP server, using the slack390.ins file and the three
starter files.