>>> On Tue, Apr 3, 2007 at  6:34 PM, in message
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Clark,
Douglas" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Is it me, or does the update from one release of SuSE Enterprise Linux
> to another version via "fresh install" seem strange to anyone else?

Not to me, since you're not doing a fresh install.  You're just not initiating
the upgrade from your running system.  There were some incompatibilities
introduced with SLES10 (I don't know the details) that prevent doing it from
YaST.  For quite a while now, both RHEL and SLES have offered an upgrade path
as part of the usual install process, if an existing Linux installation is
detected.  If you don't want to do an upgrade, you can do a clean install.  If
no existing Linux is detected, you can only do a clean install.