Bruce Hayden wrote:
Here is something I've been using on SLES that I got off this list
long long ago.  It actually makes the console do a normal login, so
you get the motd message and it even shows up as a login when you run
the "who" or "w" commands.  However, it still won't display the
/etc/issue file unless you put "cat /etc/issue" in the script below.

In your inittab, replace the mingetty line for ttyS0 with:
1:2345:respawn:/sbin/agetty -L -n -l /sbin/consoleshell 9600 /dev/ttyS0
dumb

Then create a script named /sbin/consoleshell with the following
contents, and be sure to make it executable!

#!/bin/sh
cat /etc/issue
exec /bin/login -f root
or similar