> I'm in the process of building a file server using SAMBA
> but will like to use our current Windows Active Directory
> for authentication purposes. Where can I find more information
> on how to accomplish this task? We are running SLES9 SP3.
I've been out of the loop for a while, but ...
There is a paper on http://linuxvm.org/present/ - "Migrating Windows
Servers to Samba".  It's old and based on Samba 2, but it may be good
background material.

Since Microsoft appears to have accepted Linux to some extent, I believe
there has been some progress on the AD side.  If the AD servers are
Windows 2003 server R2, then Windows Services for UNIX is standard (I
believe) and if this service is enabled there are fields for UNIX UID and
GID (I believe but never even logged on to 2003 server). This is
preferable to the winbind mapping of Windows RIDs to UIDs/GIDs.  You'll
still need winbind, you just don't have to worry about also backing up and
restoring the mapping table.

Hope this helps.

"Mike MacIsaac" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>   (845) 433-7061