On 4/29/07, Pieter Harder <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I hope someone with better access to RETAIN will have done
>an estimate on how frequent a PTF for a HIPER is expected to be
>published, and how many outages folks will have when they want to
>install that within 2 weeks or so...

I think that is utter rubbish. Why take an outage to avoid an outage that may
very likely not happen? You apply a HIPER (or any other service you care for)
and wait for the next outage, scheduled or otherwise, and roll it in then. In
by very far most cases you will live until next scheduled outage. If you really
hit a high pervasiveness situation you will notice on your test system and
never roll the service that caused it into a production system.

Watch your language ;-)  You know as well as I that a *scheduled
outage* has some advantages over a non-scheduled one. Your situation
is different because you read the APAR text (and probably the source
update of the PTF where possible) and make your own assessment. And
you probably don't care whether IBM marked it as HIPER, LOPER, or
BLOOPER.

The scenario I refer to is outsourcing contracts that require the
service provider to install security APARs and HIPERs within a certain
period (have IBM as the independent party rate the APAR to avoid
discussion between service provider and customer). Most likely the
contract will also have some statements about scheduled outages, so
they may not even be able to meet that target.

Your approach to postpone the IPL is a pragmatic one. The larger the
shop, the less likely a pragmatic approach will win over a formal or
systematic one. In my previous life it was very rare to have "pending
service" that would automatically become active after an unscheduled
outage (and such an approach would need additional approvals for
sure).

Rob