The keyword is "reliably".  Noop.

But if you find something that really works with it, I'm all ears.

So far, the VTS seems to be a 390 thingie.  No FCP support.
Linux applications seem to like scsi tape drives (FCP) not FICON/ESCON.

Then there is the point of control.  That is being able to send mount info to
the VTS.  390 side so far.

Yep, you can use the VTS on the 390 side to mount tapes and then give the tape
drive to Linux....and it sort of works.

Biggest problem is handling EOV conditions.  That is way more code then I
really wanted to handle.
The virtual tapes on a VTS, are a lot smaller then a physical tape, which
increases the problem of EOV conditions.

Yep, much of this can be handled by more and more local code.  And the more you
code, the less and less it will be tested.  So, reliability decreases.

Right now, I toying with the idea of taking Linux backups to disk, and then ftp
the backups to the 390 side to be staged to tape.  The open system side calls
this D2D2T (disk to disk to tape).  Not sure about that, but that is what
testing is for <G>.

We have a VTS planned for (next budget yr), so I'm testing the process without
the VTS.

Tom Duerbusch
THD Consulting

>>> "Little, Chris" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 4/30/2007 5:28 PM >>>
What is the possibility of reliably running TSM server on Linux with the
backups going to our brand spanking new clustered TS7700?

I couldn't find any literature supporting it.