On Tuesday, 05/01/2007 at 02:54 AST, Eddie Chen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Few months ago, our network people found that FTP in binary( during
> peak time)  are  4 time faster than ASCII  to Unix servers.
>
> Last week I took a look at  the vsftp source and modify the source to
> accept "type e"  and let Linux do the translation to EBCDIC.
> This Sunday, I  send  the CMSNUC MAP in "type a",  "type  e" and "type
> I".  And found there is no difference in CPU usage and the time
> it takes to complete.
>
> Is there any benefit  of  having the non-IBM platform to do the
> EBCDIC translation?

None that I can think of.  In fact, I think it's a Bad Idea.  Which code
pages for ASCII and EBCDIC did you select?  The VM ftp client and server
both have support for user selection of the translation table, with over
200 combinations to choose from, plus the ability to add your own.

Alan Altmark
z/VM Development
IBM Endicott