From: Linux on 390 Port [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
Richard Troth
Sent: Tuesday, June 05, 2007 1:09 PM
To: LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
Subject: [LINUX-390] FCP - shared disk [was: RHEL 4 - FCP - tape drives]

Sir Alan spake:
> NPIV has nothing to do with sharing across LPARs.
> Sharing is simply a matter of giving an multiple LPARs
> access to different subchannels the same FCP chpid.

I was thinking the same thing,  however ...

Your SAN team may need to zone or mask things differently if multiple
LPARs have access to a device and you're not using NPIV.  Case in point
for me is one volume (one LUN, a disk) that I need to share across five
VM
systems,  each in its own LPAR,  one physical box,  one CHPID (per
path),
one WWPN (per path).  The host presents one entity to the fabric,
without
NPIV,  so when I (try to) bring the volume on-line in another LPAR,  it
fails because it is busy.

I don't know SAN fabric capabilities well enough to know if this is
supposed to work without special tricks, or without them, or at all.  I
suspect that with NPIV it will work except that our SAN team would have
zone the LUN to multiple hosts.  (But we want to do that eventually
anyway.)  It stretches the whole disk sharing thing beyond System z and
z/VM and lets Sun, HP, AIX, and the rest enjoy the pain.

This is disk,  not tape,  if that matters.

-- R;

This message w/attachments (message) may be privileged, confidential or
proprietary, and if you are not an intended recipient, please notify the
sender, do not use or share it and delete it. Unless specifically indicated,
this message is not an offer to sell or a solicitation of any investment
products or other financial product or service, an official confirmation of any
transaction, or an official statement of Merrill Lynch. Subject to applicable
law, Merrill Lynch may monitor, review and retain e-communications (EC)
traveling through its networks/systems. The laws of the country of each
sender/recipient may impact the handling of EC, and EC may be archived,
supervised and produced in countries other than the country in which you are
located. This message cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free. This
message is subject to terms available at the following link:
http://www.ml.com/e-communications_terms/. By messaging with Merrill Lynch you
consent to the foregoing.