On 6/28/07, Romanowski, John (OFT) <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

If I set swappiness=0 what does Linux do instead of swapping?
What does swappiness=100 mean?

Barton says short answers are the best, so at the risk of being too brief...

A higher value of swappiness means that when Linux memory management
needs some free memory, it is more willing to swap out a process than
to purge data in cache.
The idea is that you may not want a single process to wipe out all
cached data. On the other hand, you would not want to retain a lot of
data in cache if that means much swapping.

Most scenarios that I have seen seem to apply to desktop systems. I
have not done measurements on systems where swappiness was
deliberately set other than default.

Rob
--
Rob van der Heij