Richard Troth wrote:
I agree with Mark about the lameness of /srv and /media.
But, Mark, what you describe under /mnt (where /mnt acts for you
like /media does for others) is at odds with some historical Unix/POSIX
methods.

If there is any sliver of justification for /media it is to lend some
consistency for "floppy" and "cdrom".
and that was promptly lost by mounting CDs at /media/<volser>
and by not mounting at all if there's no desktop, and then it's always
mounted if there is a desktop: I've even seen freshly-burned CD/DVD
media get mounted.

Me, I've gone back to the old way using /mnt and /etc/fstab

-- R;

Mark Post <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Sent by: Linux on 390 Port <LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU>

06/27/2007 03:52 PM
Please respond to Linux on 390 Port <LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU>

From
Mark Post <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
cc

Subject
Re: BaseVol/GuestVol server for SLES9

On Wed, Jun 27, 2007 at  3:33 PM, in message
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
"McKown,
John" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
-snip-
Hum, I guess. Except that /mnt has been around vaguely forever and
perhaps the architect was concerned with name collisions of some sort.
/mnt/media might be a bit better than just /mnt. But, then again,
suppose /mnt has something mounted onto it?

Some distributions already have things such as
/mnt/floppy
/mnt/cdrom

I wish more of them did.

If you're sticking things into USB ports, that means you're probably
responsible for anything else mounted on the system.  If you can't keep
from tripping over yourself by mounting something on just plain /mnt, then
you probably have even bigger problems waiting for you.  ;)

Cheers
John

-- spambait
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  [EMAIL PROTECTED]