>>> On Wed, Jul 18, 2007 at  1:49 PM, in message
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
"Stricklin, Raymond J" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

-snip-
> I guess I mostly wanted to make sure I wasn't suffering a faulty
> expectation or even simply using YaST wrong before I cashed in a support
> call. In the end, the SP1 update process re-installed about 150 packages
> which I had specifically removed.

Certainly not an official response, but I think I understand what happened to
you, since I believe I experienced the same thing.  (As a side note, I believe
with SLES10 you have unlimited support calls available to you, unless you went
with the Basic support.  Assuming you're buying your support from Novell.)

I believe there are two causes to this; one semi-facetious, and one serious.
There have been a number of times that I've gotten irritated with YaST.  I
think the YasT developer(s) have tried to make it idiot proof, which I think is
a bad idea.  It irritates a lot of people, and it's an impossible goal, since
idiots are so inventive.

What I believe is operating here, is the YaST concept of patterns.  When I was
doing my research to publish a "very minimal" autoYasT install, there were a
lot of packages that YasT "required" me to install because they were part of
the "base pattern."  I didn't want to get too radical, so I left those packages
in.  Then, I discovered that after the install, you could use RPM to remove
most (but not all) of them.  So, I updated the autoYaST file to do some
post-install "rpm -e" commands.  It worked like a charm, and I was happy, and
published my script.

Later, I went to upgrade one of my test systems to SP1 and, like you, I saw a
bunch of those packages get installed from the SP1 sources.  Argh.  Looking in
y2log, I saw references to them being in the base pattern.  Ok, I thought, I'll
just go yank them out again.  And, once again, most of them came off the
system, but there were a number of them that I couldn't remove, because new
inter-package dependencies had been introduced with the updates.  Argh again.
So, I was able to get _close_ to my original set of packages for a minimal
system, but not quite as minimal.

If you look at /suse/setup/descr/base-10-51.20.s390x.pat, you'll probably find
all the packages that got re-installed in there.  There's several hundred
entries in it.

> Someone else was dotting his i's and asked me off-list if I'd used rpm
> -e with --nodeps. I did not; all the RPM dependencies were satisfied
> organically.

That's good.  Anyone using --nodeps without a really, really good reason
shouldn't be doing that job.