> We are migrating to the Z9, would like to eliminate (support will drop
at
> the end of this calendar year)  the 2216 so we want to replace the dot
> matrix with a network attached printer (HP 8150 series since this has
edge
> to edge override feature).  We are able to print from edge to edge but
it
> seems for EVERY data line, it will print a blank line.  We have tried
> INSERTS and SCRIPs, all attempts don't work.

First, replace one thing at a time. An OSA serves the same function as
the 2216 as long as you get an OSA model that still supports SNA
connectivity. You'll be able to switch the OSA for the 2216 and talk to
the existing Epson printers the same way you do today -- you may need to
update the MAC address of the link in the Extra configuration from the
2216 to the MAC of the OSA, but it ought to work fine. That'll buy you
some time to solve the other problem and get off the H50.

2nd, check the HP printer to see if the AUTO-CR feature is turned on,
which adds an extra CR if the printer sees a bare LF that is not
immediately preceded by a CR. Some HP printers ship this way for text
printout -- it doesn't bother the Windows users, because Windows prints
stuff as graphics bitstreams, so they never print real text (even
Notepad converts to a fixed-width graphics-basedfont and renders this
way, unless you set it to use a hard-coded printer font).

If that's not it, then you may need to enable LPR on VSE and point the
printer definition at a Linux system that has CUPS on it. In CUPS, you
can define a printer instance that specifies a particular font and font
size to use when printing documents. CUPS will then receive the output
from VSE via LPR, convert as necessary to get the target printer to do
the right thing, and send the print job to the printer in question. If
you play with the font sizes and styles (9.5 pt Courier should be about
right for 84 chars per line).  Probably a good job for a old spare Intel
machine; this will be CPU intensive, and you don't have VM, so
experimenting on the H50 will be somewhat painful.

Drop me a note off list if you have questions, and I'll give you a call.

-- db