>>> On Thu, Aug 16, 2007 at  2:27 PM, in message
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
"Mrohs, Ray" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I installed another SLES10 yesterday, and all seemed to go well until I
> tried to ssh to the new instance. After going nuts for a while I looked
> in SuSEfirewall2 and saw that the ssh parameter was missing, whereas it
> exists in my first SLES10 instance. I manually updated the file and its
> working now. So I'm wondering if I skipped a step during installation? I
> don't remember (from earlier this year) doing anything special to enable
> ssh before, but my memory isn't what it used to be either. %)

After the installation is finished, and the interim reboot has been performed,
you're told to SSH back in and run the "finish up" script.  During the process
of that, you're presented with a network/firewall configuration panel that
shows you whether the firewall is going to be enabled or not, whether the SSH
port will be open or not, whether remote system administration will be enabled
or not.  At times, I've seen cases where the SSH port was not enabled.  I had
to select/click on that to change it from disabled to enabled.  Not sure what
caused that, but it's easy to avoid.  You just have to be watching when that
panel comes up.