On Monday, 08/27/2007 at 10:29 EDT, David Schaub <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> In working with a product that uses DCSS (OMEGAMON for zVM and Linux)
> for passing information, I have run into an issue where my Linux guests
> won't start automatically after an IPL.  It is my understanding that
> there are two ways to setup DCSS with Linux:
>
> 1.  Create a memory hole and define it using the DEFINE STORAGE command,
> say, in the PROFILE EXEC.
>
> 2.  Place the DCSS higher than the defined memory for the guest and use
> the Linux /etc/zipl.conf file to define a higher memory boundary as
> available.
>
> In order to have a Linux guest properly startup, am I forced to use
> option #2?  When I go with option #1, the DEF STOR command does a reset
> that interrupts any following command in the PROFILE EXEC.

Your subject line says "DEF STORAGE v. AUTOLOG".  You can provide the
STORAGE option on XAUTOLOG if you want the virtual machine to start with a
larger amount of memory.  You can also combine the DEFINE STORAGE and IPL
commands on a single line in PROFILE EXEC:
  call diag 8,"DEFINE STORAGE 128M" || '15'x || "IPL LINUX"

Alan Altmark
z/VM Development
IBM Endicott