>>> On Thu, Aug 30, 2007 at  6:58 PM, in message
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, David Stuart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> Hi Mark,
>
> Progress!
-snip-
> The bad news is that I still can't connect to either ip address.  When I
> ping an ip address from my PC, it times out.  When I try to ping out to my
> PC, it says network unreachable.  This is probably due to not having a
> default gateway set.  When I try to ping other hosts on the same subnet, I
> receive Destination host unreachable.

More than likely you're correct, the default route isn't set.  Try "rcnetwork
start" and then "route" to see if one shows up.  Or, "route -n" and you should
see this at the bottom:
Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface
0.0.0.0         192.168.0.30    0.0.0.0         UG    1      0        0 eth0

The all-zeros destination and Genmask identify that as the default route.

I still believe you'll need to rebuild your initrd and re-run zipl.  Once
you've done that, reboot and see if things look better.