This: (put it off into a little test script of its own)

parm_1="invalid"
target_system="hadley"
space=" "
delim=" | "
raw_list=$(/bin/ls /clamscan/servers)
cooked_list=$(echo $raw_list | sed -e "s:$space:$delim:g")
echo "Raw list = "$raw_list
echo "cooked list = "$cooked_list
case $target_system in
  $cooked_list ) parm_1="valid" ;;
esac

echo "Parm_1 =" $parm_1

produces:

Raw list = abinodji aitken albert bemidji calhoun hadley hyland itasca millpond
mudlake nokomis pepin pequot phalen terrapin vadnais
cooked list = abinodji | aitken | albert | bemidji | calhoun | hadley | hyland
| itasca | millpond | mudlake | nokomis | pepin | pequot | phalen |
terrapin | vadnais
Parm_1 = invalid

             Mark Post <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
             Sent by: Linux on 390 Port
             <LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU>

LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU

                                                                   cc
             09/06/2007 04:07 PM

                                                              Subject
                                                                     Re: I am
missing something basic with bash scripting.
                            Please respond to
               Linux on 390 Port <LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU>

>>> On Thu, Sep 6, 2007 at  4:53 PM, in message
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
James Melin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
-snip-
> raw_list=`ls /clamscan/servers`     #read list of mountpoints
-snip-
> But even though the display of 'cooked_list' seems to be what I want it to
> be, this never returns a match.

> Anyone see where I missed the turnip truck on this?

I'm guessing that if you subsitute /bin/ls instead of just "ls" (and change the
whole thing to $(/bin/ls /clamscan/servers) to satisfy Adam) that
thing will work better.  I think you're likely getting trailing "/"es on the
end of the names, but that's not how you're passing in target_system.