OK, I'm sure I'm doing something dumb, but I've pounded my head against the
wall long enough to seek some help.

I haven't really touched Suse in a couple of years, so I'm pretty rusty
and my notes aren't as good as they seemed to be when I wrote them (go
figure).  Suddenly, someone needs a disk added to their Suse virtual
machine. I created the minidisk, and CMS formatted it - so far no problem.

I went through Yast-hardware to activate the disk and then used the Software
partitioner to format it with ext3 and mount it at /data1.  So far, so good.
The disk shows up, everything seems happy.

Then, I reboot the system to make sure everything is OK and the fsck fails
on the new disk.  I get the following messages:

/sbin/fsck.ext3 (1) -- /data1Ù fsck.ext3 -a /dev/dasdd1 ""
fsck.ext3: No such device or address while trying to open /dev/dasdd1"""
Possibly non-existent or swap device?""
fsck.ext3 /dev/dasdd1 failed (status 0x8). Run manually!""

Arrrgggg..... I've tried everything I can think of and nothing helps.  If
I take the disk out of fstab and then mount it manually, no problem.
What the heck am I missing?  This is SLES 9, by the way.

Martha