>>> On Tue, Sep 25, 2007 at  6:47 AM, in message
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Evans, Kevin
R" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
-snip-
> I do notice though, that there are many more SUSE questions raised (and
> answered) here than RHEL. It's not obvious to me why that is. Is it
> because:
>
> SUSE is used more than RHEL?
> Because SUSE has more problems (don't think this is so).

Largely because Novell/SUSE has about 80-90% of the mainframe market.  A good
part of that is because SUSE (at that time SuSE) got their SuSE 7.0 mainframe
version out first, and then followed up with SLES7, and much later, SLES8.
During that same time, Red Hat put out a 31-bit Red Hat Linux 7.2, and then a
64-bit Red Hat Linux 7.1 (which a lot of people thought was curious), but no
follow-up release (it seemed).  When people on the various mailing lists asked
if Red Hat was going to stay in the mainframe market, no answer was
forthcoming, because the technical folks that hung out in the various mailing
lists weren't allowed to answer such questions.

Some time after that, Red Hat produced Red Hat Enterprise Linux, which included
a mainframe version.  By that time, most people had chosen SLES.  Redbooks had
been written, using SLES.  ISVs had done their certifications for SLES, etc.,
etc.  So, in short, largely historical reasons.