Am Dienstag, 25. September 2007 schrieb Jorge Souto:

> I'd like to name the devices similar to the minidisks:
>
> /dev/dasd200
> /dev/dasd201
> /dev/dasd200a (pav for minidisk 200)
>
> I think it's possible with udev, but /dev/dasdx it's the kernel name.

Yes udev is the tool you want to use.

> If it isn't possible to modify the kernel name, I would create an
> alternative /dev/disk/by-minidisk/dasd200

You cannot change the kernel name, but you can add as many symbolic links as
you like. Lets say you can create a /dev/dasd200 symbolic link that points
to /dev/dasda.

The exact layout and format of the rules dedends on the distribution. If
youhave RHEL4 or SLES9 you can have a look at the (now outdated)
presentation: http://linuxvm.org/present/WAVV/udev.pdf

If there is interest, I could try to create updated version for SLES10 and
RHEL5 for a future conference.

Christian