On 10/13/07, Carsten Otte <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> No method is in place to ever change a backing. Thus, a page will
> never be moved from one swap slot to a different swap slot. This is
> why linux is not very good at keeping swap usage local, and is not
> good at using low prio swap for hot pages.

I don't think that were implied by what was suggested. It would even
be a bad idea to move pages through swap (because you might cause them
to page in just for re-ordering them). What would make a difference is
the way slots are allocated on swap devices. As I mentioned between
the lines of my posts, some of the apparent design criteria do not
apply to VDISK (or even mainframe disk I/O in general). But that
algorithm is probably in the generic part of Linux.

The right way would probably be to add a way to steer the algorithm.
In that case an option on swapon to select between first-fit and
best-fit, for example. And while working on my pony, I would also like
an API on the block device tell the driver to drop a block from
backing store (also COW devices would enjoy that).

Rob
--
Rob van der Heij
Velocity Software, Inc