Coffin Michael C wrote:
Is there a way in z/Series Linux (we're running Debian, FWIW) to monitor
disk I/O by userid and/or process?  I'm looking for something like "top"
but that includes disk I/O statistics for userids/processes.  We are
seeing a huge increase in disk I/O by our Linux virtual machine guests,
but I don't know how to associate this I/O activity with "real"
processes or userids to determine if they are legitimate or if there is
a problem somewhere.
Issue is, that you cannot observe this directly due to the page cache
indirection: the block layer does'nt _know_ who's causing disk I/O. On
the other hand, you can observe it indirectly: a process that causes
heavy disk I/O tends to be in device wait state frequently. You can
observe the process state with top.
Btw: iostat and vmstat can report the overall I/O rates

cheers,
Carsten