David Boyes wrote:
We use LPRng instead of CUPS because of CUPS' chattyness. We have
literally
thousands of printers defined (over 7000) and the printcap defining
these
printers is installed on over 100 servers. CUPS would overrun our
network.
CUPS is a great design for a desktop client and one or two printers;
it
really fails when you attempt to scale it up to an actual server
level.

Chattyness is completely adjustable. It's a CUPS tuning and filtering
question. Send me a copy of your config, and I can probably help.

Might be good to make this a kind of tutorial. There seem to be a few
here who could use some tips, people being what they are, likely not all
those who do will step up and say so.

--

Cheers
John