I'm not too sure about "generic" FTP clients... but I found that the
ncftp package, especially using ncftpget, will support this pretty
much automagically.  I use the ncftpput to maintain a website of
my writings, so that works nicely to not do a push on files already
present that have the right time stamps.

--
John R. Campbell             Speaker to Machines              souperb
at gmail dot com