Chris Zimmerman wrote:
I am looking for any documentation or assistance available for
configuring PAV's for the root filesystem.  Currently, we are running
SLES10SP1 in an MVS LPAR with one ECKD disk (3390) containing the
entire / filesystem, and then a second 3390 disk for a LVM2 volume
group.  Ultimately, I would like to move both the volume group and the
root filesystem to use PAV's and be able to boot this way.

Hi Chris,
I assume that by discussing PAV you are looking to increase performance
by increasing the number of parallel I/Os to the DASD. (For which David
Boyes has already suggested using z/VM.)

This can also be achieved by using many smaller DASD (such as 3390-3)
and putting them under LVM2 control and using striping (-i option). OK,
the parallel I/Os are now to parallel DASD, but you get the idea.
Alternatively define the Shark volumes as SCSI instead of ECKD, Linux
supports multiple paths for SCSI devices as well as multiple I/Os.

Mark