Hi all,

We need to copy data from an HFS file system on a z/OS 1.8 system to a
SLES9 server image running under z/VM. The data contained on the z/OS
side is stored in USS and contains Access Control Lists (ACLs) which are
extended file attributes that can store more granular user access. Most
methods to copy data across systems DO NOT support ACLs and some
actually strip the ACL data during the copy. We need to keep the data
with the ACL's intact.

We currently see two options to try and bring the data across with the
ACL's intact:

1) Use NFS. We are aware that NFSv2 does not support ACL's and NFSv3
support for ACL's is 'iffy' at best. NFSv4 is known to support ACL's
however we have not been successful in getting an NFSv4 mount to show
the ACL's on the remote file system. The z/OS NFSv4 client DOES NOT
support ACL's, so we would have to mount a Linux image under z/OS to get
that to work.

2) Use STAR. STAR is a utility (s-tar) that will tar up data with ACL's
with the use of a '-acl' flag. We have successfully tested this tool on
Linux natively but we have been unable to get it to work in USS. We
would need to run it in USS to take the ACL's with the files and then
extract it over on the Linux side. Obviously this isn't the most elegant
solution as we have one directory that is 9 mod9's. To do this with STAR
would require a massive amount of temporary storage.

We need to know:

1) How can we verify what version of NFS a system is using? When
mounting we specify NFSv4 but how do we know for sure?
2) Is there a STAR package available for USS? We have the source but
have been unsuccessful in compiling it on USS. Is this even possible?
3) Is there an easier w ay to do this than our two options?

Help us Obi Won Listserv, you're our only hope!

--=Q=--
This email is intended for the recipient only.  If you are not the intended
recipient please disregard, and do not use the information for any purpose.