Mark Post wrote:
On Fri, Feb 1, 2008 at  1:53 PM, in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,

Kim Goldenberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
-snip-

Mark - I still get "Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display: " with a "sudo
gedit foo" command that works when I use "gedit foo".

This all works fine under SLES9x. Any thoughts?

>From SLES9 to SLES10, Defaults env_reset was added to /etc/sudoers.  This
wipes out almost all of the invoking user's environment variables.  This was done
for security reasons.  If you want to make this particular thing work, add
Defaults env_keep=DISPLAY to /etc/sudoers, and realize that you're possibly
creating a security exposure for yourself.  The order of the statement in
relationship to env_reset doesn't matter.

>From my perspective, it might be better to bite the bullet and learn some
basic vi commands.  I tend to (almost) never invoke X-enabled commands on my
System z Linux images.

Mark Post

Mark -
   Thanks. that works. I'll look into the security issues.

   It's not the editing, I'm usually using vi now. It's YaST2 that's
the problem. The ncurses version is much more clumsy and harder to read
and understand than the X version.

   Of course this problem goes away when I use su rather than sudo, but
that means I have to give the root password to everyone who needs to
install their software, and I prefer not to do that. I guess I got to
used to Ubuntu's method of not even setting a root password; you get to
do sudo if you are in the right administrative group, and use your own
password, not root's.

Again, Thanks

Kim

--
Kim Goldenberg
Systems Programmer I

begin:vcard
fn:Kim Goldenberg
n:Goldenberg;Kim
org:State of New Jersey;Office of Information Technology (OIT)
adr:200 Riverview Plaza;;PO Box 212;Trenton;NJ;08625-0212;USA
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
title:Systems Programmer I
tel;work:609-777-3722
tel;fax:609-777-3939