I hesitate to disgree with David, but that is not what I am seeing (see my
other post in reply to Gerard)
I use only 1 *one* GB of Xstor and even then page life is usually tens of
minutes.
Paging rate is moderate (100-200/s to 32 3390-3)

The situation David describes I know from z/VM 440, but that is long past and
it has improved with each z/VM release.

Best regards,
Pieter Harder

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
tel  +31-73-6837133 / +31-6-47272537

>>> David Boyes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 02/05/08 6:02 >>>
> I am trying to get a feel if the memory requirements on say a pSeries
of
> 3GB for a SAP APP server would be less on zSeries Linux under zVM,
i.e.
> the physical would drop to 1 GB with 2GB as swop.

Very unlikely. SAP apps of any stripe tend to grab big chunks of memory
no matter what they're actually doing and just sit on it.

You might be able to get away with allocating lots of XSTOR and
tolerating a really, REALLY high paging rate, but application
performance will still be affected, and you'll still need to buy a lot
of memory.

Brabant Water N.V.
Postbus 1068
5200 BC  's-Hertogenbosch