> Oh, I understand that.  Makes you wonder just what the devil is going on
> inside the application.
I have a fair idea. Lots and lots of caching, loading of tables into memory etc
going on.

> As usual, the ability to over commit memory and all the other sharing and
> management stuff that z/VM lets you do makes
> things more attractive.  The resources required just seem wasteful, whether
> that's really true or not.
On a z doing the I/O may be more attractive (faster? cheaper?) than cache
lookup. But not in the case of SAP. The I/O would all go to the DB2 database
running on z/OS. And those are the expensive cycles. Far better to use IFL and
memory on the Linux side.

Best regards,
Pieter Harder

[EMAIL PROTECTED]