> Let me see if I understand this correctly:

> We currently do NOT run z/VM at all. We have a z9EC with two
> CPs and a z9BC with four CPs. Each "box" also runs a Coupling
> Facility, but that appears immaterial to this discussion. The
> two "boxes" are connected in a parallel sysplex, with all
> non-CF LPARs running z/OS.

> We are contemplating the purchase of one IFL (for now), to
> "test-drive" running Linux on z. We currently "assume" that our
> cost to license z/VM to run ONLY on the IFL (regardless on
> which "box") would be $22,500 plus the "subscription" for one
> processor.

> Is that assumption valid? (Was it ever valid?) Or would our
> cost for z/VM be 3 * $22,500 plus 4 * $20,250 (plus
> "subscriptions"), based on the IFL becoming the seventh
> "engine" in the enterprise, and despite that z/VM would be run
> ONLY on the IFL ("dedicated" LPAR)?

John:

For purposes of software licensing, IFLs and CPs are TWO
machines. Effectively adding a single IFL to either machine
creates a 3rd z9 with 1 IFL (again ONLY for software licensing).
If this was on the z9 EC the cost would be $22,500 OTC for the
base z/VM license (plus any features: Dirmaint, Perfkit, RACF,
RSCS) with the corresponding annual S&S charges. Note that this
is LIST pricing and IBM (and your business partner if applicable)
may offer special pricing for z/VM when purchased with an IFL on
a z9 BC.

> How about the "subscriptions" for Linux itself (RHEL and SLES
> are the two candidates), again to be run ONLY on the IFL? Same
> question for Oracle, to run ONLY on the IFL.

Again, CPs and IFLs are treated as separate machines for software
licensing by every vendor I am aware of. You would only need to
license the Linux distro (and Oracle) on the single IFL.

Jim