Hi folks,

When I define 3x HiperSocket interfaces using YaST in SUSE SLES 10.1, I
end up with a total of 4x IP address entries for the same domain name in
/etc/hosts. For example...

nnn.nnn.nnn.25  vmlxtst5.xxxx.xxx.xx vmlxtst5
nnn.nnn.nnn.25  vmlxtst5.xxxx.xxx.xx
nnn.nnn.nnn.25  vmlxtst5.xxxx.xxx.xx
nnn.nnn.mmm.202 vmlxtst5.xxxx.xxx.xx

Here, .202 is the OSA interface, and the .25 entries are one for each of
the 3x Hipersocket interfaces. (Address parts changed to protect the
innocent).

Only the last entry ends up being the one used to resolve the domain name.
The order the entries appear in depends on the order they were defined in.
So, in some cases, a hipersocket IP address ends up being resolved for the
server domain name. This has caused some applications to not work.

Within YaST, there is an option on the panel to define the Hostname and
Name Server in the Network Card configuration called "Write Hostname to
/etc/hosts". This option is a check-box that is selected. If I could
de-select that option for the hipersockets, I expect the entries would not
be entered into /etc/hosts. However, this option is greyed out and cannot
be changed to de-select it. I found that this option was only selectable
if DHCP is used, but we use static IP addresses.

I know that I could use YaST > Network Services > Hostnames to delete the
offending hipersocket entries out of /etc/hosts afterwards. Or manually
edit this file.

However, shouldn't YaST be smart enough to disallow multiple entries with
the same domain name /etc/hosts? Or at least allow me the option of
selecting whether I want to update /etc/hosts?

Regards,
Fred Schmidt
Department of Corporate and Information Services (DCIS)
Data Centre Services (DCS)
Northern Territory Government, Australia