Mark Perry wrote:
Said, Nick wrote:
We are implementing WebSphere clustering with dynamic failover on SLES9
servers. This clustering configuration requires each server to write its
log files on a shared directory that can be accessed by other servers in
the cluster. WebSphere uses a file locking mechanism to determine if
servers in the cluster are up or down. We discovered that the NFS server
distributed with SLES9 does not support file locking.  This feature is
provided in V4 NFS servers. SLES10 is distributed with a V4 NFS server,
but not SLES9.

On SLES9 did you start the NFSLOCK service?
/etc/init.d/nfslock
this runs: /sbin/rpc.lockd

mark

Actually the lockd is built into the kernel and should be automatic:

#
# Network File Systems
#
CONFIG_NFS_FS=y
CONFIG_NFS_V3=y
CONFIG_NFS_ACL=y
CONFIG_NFS_V4=y
CONFIG_NFS_DIRECTIO=y
CONFIG_NFSD=m
CONFIG_NFSD_V3=y
CONFIG_NFSD_ACL=y
CONFIG_NFS_ACL_SUPPORT=y
# CONFIG_NFSD_V4 is not set
CONFIG_NFSD_TCP=y
CONFIG_LOCKD=y
CONFIG_STATD=y
CONFIG_LOCKD_V4=y
CONFIG_EXPORTFS=m

So why do you think that SLES9 does not support NFS file locking?

mark