On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 12:47 AM, Mark Post <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>  That's why we use automation and commercial management tools as much as
> possible, when they're available.  We tend to get anywhere up to 100 servers
> per admin ratios in that environment.  If you divide up the tasks relating to
> virtualization and assign them to the z/VM folks, then the Linux admins don't
> have to worry about it so much.

An installation I talked to in the past was pushing that ratio with
additional power. They were driving it that a system admin had no
business to login to a server unless there was a change or problem
ticket for it. The idea of "just looking" at something did not justify
a login. Instead, if there's a need to "just look" at that server,
there may be a justified need to look at all those servers and they
would add the item to the automation to have that data available from
all applicable servers for everyone who needed it. I found it a very
interesting approach to push that ratio.

Rob
--
Rob van der Heij
Velocity Software GmbH