Brad Hinson wrote:
On Mon, 2008-03-31 at 11:18 +0800, John Summerfield wrote:
Ian S. Worthington wrote:
According to Redhat's documentation it should be possible to ipl the install
dvd in RESCUE mode.  However when I try it seems to go into install mode,
asking me for my ctc addresses:
Why do you think that is a problem?

Yep, you have to answer the initial networking questions (because
there's no CONF to reference).  Afterwards, instead of launching the
installer, rescue mode will start.

I was trying to find Ian's concerns, _not_ your guesses.  I can guess
too, but I'm not willing to assume I can read his mind.

Note that you can do this through z/VM by just adding 'rescue' to the
PARM file.

22:12:53 Starting the zSeries initrd to configure networking. Version is 1.1
22:12:55 Which kind of network device do you intend to use
22:12:55   (e.g. ctc, iucv, qeth, lcs).
22:12:55 Enter 'qeth' for OSA-Express Fast Ethernet, Gigabit Ethernet
22:12:55   (including 1000Base-T), High Speed Token Ring, and ATM
22:12:55   (running Ethernet LAN emulation) features in QDIO mode.
22:12:55 Enter 'lcs' for OSA  2 Ethernet/Token Ring, OSA-Express Fast Ethernet
in
22:12:55   non-QDIO mode, OSA-Express High Speed Token Ring in non-QDIO mode
and
22:12:55   Gigabit Ethernet in non-QDIO mode.

It has confirmed:

22:10:47 Kernel command line: root=/dev/ram0 ro ip=off ramdisk_size=40000
rescue

So I'm assuming that its happy with my ins file:

* minimal lpar ins file
g:/images/kernel.img 0x00000000
g:/images/initrd.img 0x00800000
D:/zcentos/rescue/rescue.prm 0x00010480

and prm:

root=/dev/ram0 ro ip=off ramdisk_size=40000 rescue

(If its relevant I have detached my disks as I don't want them to be
accidentally written to.)

Anyone know how to boot this in RESCUE mode?

ian

Ian S. Worthington, MBCS.

--

Cheers