On Mar 31, 2008, at 6:14 PM, Ian S. Worthington wrote:

Check presence:

-/bin/sh-3.00# ls -l /sbin/sh
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     0               4 May 17  2007 /sbin/sh ->
bash

What you would actually want to check the presence of, here, is:

/mnt/sysimage2/sbin/bash

as that is what will be executed with chroot when you correctly type:

chroot /mnt/sysimage2 /sbin/bash

Brad's instructions could equally well have been amended thus:

chroot /mnt/sysimage2 /sbin/zipl -V
chroot /mnt/sysimage2 /sbin/mkinitrd -v -f /boot/initrd-`uname -r`.img
`uname -r`

Which would then run the zipl and mkinitrd _on your mounted /mnt/
sysimage2 dasd_.

Now that I type that out, you're going to have another very big
problem and a still unbootable system, as the mkinitrd must come
_before_ zipl!

Here are my suggestions for alternate steps 3 & 4 from Brad's process,
assuming I've correctly inferred that VolGroup00/LogVol00 is your
normal root filesystem (/) and that dasda1 is /boot:

3. Create the initrd:

        # mkinitrd -b /mnt/sysimage2/boot -d /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00
        # cp -p /boot/initrd* /mnt/sysimage2/boot

(if somebody can tell me why this writes the initrd to /boot instead
of /mnt/sysimage2/boot and thus requires the manual 'cp' step, I would
be grateful)

4. Run zipl

        # chroot /mnt/sysimage2 /sbin/zipl

ok