When inside the rescue environment, run 'lvm'.  This is an LVM "shell"
with all the commands you need (pvcreate, vgscan, etc).  At the very
least, you can run:

lvm
vgscan
vgchange -a y

to activate the LVM.  The vgscan creates the /dev nodes, so you don't
need to do that manually.  After you exit the LVM shell, you can
manually mount /dev/<vg_name>/<lv_name> to /mnt/<where_ever>.

The kernel panic is most likely because your root file system can't be
found.  This could be due to the logical volume for "/" having problems,
or zipl not finding it correctly.  Double check that /etc/zipl.conf has
the correct root= entry, i.e.

"root=/dev/<your_vg_name>/<your_lv_name>"

for the root file system.  And for good measure, you may want to run
'zipl' again from the rescue environment after 'chroot'ing to the
mounted root fs, just to make sure the MBR is in sync with zipl.conf.

-Brad

On Mon, 2008-04-14 at 14:36 -0500, Kelly F. Hickel wrote:
> So, I've got this zlinux LPAR on a z9BC, and it's been running CentOS
> 4.4 for a year or so, and recently it failed to reboot after an IPL.
>
> It lists all the dasd, then says "Activating logical volumes" then
> panics with "Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!".
>
> I've been able to boot from the initrd 4.4 images (thanks all!) but the
> tools that I'd expect to see (pvscan, fdisk) aren't there.  Looking in
> /proc/dasd/devices shows that the devices are all there and online. I'm
> even tried created the /dev nodes and mounting /dev/dasda1 (that should
> be where /boot is, right?) with no luck.
>
> I've googled and found a few cookbooks on getting back up after a device
> or kernel change, but I can't get to the point where I can mount the
> volume.
>
> Any ideas what to try next?
>

> --
>
> Kelly F. Hickel
> Senior Product Architect
> MQSoftware, Inc.
> 952-345-8677 Office
> 952-345-8721 Fax
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> www.mqsoftware.com
> SEE BUSINESS WORK

> send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the message: INFO LINUX-390 or visit
Brad Hinson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sr. Support Engineer Lead, System z
Red Hat, Inc.
(919) 754-4198