From: Linux on 390 Port [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
RPN01
Sent: Tuesday, April 15, 2008 9:56 AM
To: LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
Subject: Re: recover root password

By default, sudo expects root's password. But, it can be easily
configured
to expect the user to enter his own password instead. It's a one line
change.

RedHat and SuSE expect administrators to use the root account because
"It's
always been done that way." But, when you have more than one
administrator,
and especially if you have more than a hand-full, like six to fifteen,
then
doing so gives you no accountability for what has been done to your
systems.

Anyone sticking to the "I have to have root!" model of system
administration
is leaving themselves open to a huge awakening as Sarbanes-Oxley and
other
regulations overtake us. While we aren't required by law to conform to
Sarbanes-Oxley, we've chosen to bring ourselves as close as we possibly
can.
One of the requirements is that what is done to your systems is done
with
accountability. To be completely compliant, everything done by / with
root
will need to be logged, showing what was done, and by whom. Can you do
that
now, with two or more people logging into root? Can you do it with even
one
person logging into root? Not on any distribution I know today. So you
aren't compliant, and will be pinged on your audit, and if you're
required
to be S-O compliant, you're leaving your company open to legal action.

Just because it's the way RedHat or SuSE does it doesn't make it the
standard. You need it for the installation, which may be why both RedHat
and
SuSE are set up that way. It doesn't mean you have to stay that way once
the
system is up and running. You change other things on the system after
the
install, so I don't see the reasoning of holding up the standard that
"It
comes that way, so it should stay that way." That doesn't make any
sense.

I stand by my statement: Get out of root as soon as you possibly can
after
the install, and stay out of root as much as you possibly can. Complain
vendors when they force you to use root to install their products.
Complain
to vendors that force you to run their product as root. These are
practices
that shortly will not be acceptable. And the time shortens every time
some
retailer loses thousands of credit card records. We didn't lose that
information, but we're the ones that it is easiest to go to and say
"You've
got to improve security! You have to have accountability!" So we're the
ones
that will ultimately pay the price. I predict that this will be one of
the
costs in the short term.

Anyone willing to bet a coke on it?

--
Robert P. Nix          Mayo Foundation        .~.
RO-OE-5-55             200 First Street SW    /V\