From: CHAPLIN, JAMES (CTR) [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 10:10:08 -0400
To: LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
Subject: Monitoring zVM CPU usage with automated alerts

James Chaplin
Systems Programmer, MVS, zVM & zLinux
Base Technologies, Inc
(703) 921-6220

We had a situation in our shop were CPU in the zVM topped at 100% while
the CPU usage in the zLinux Guests remained at their low levels. We use
Tivoli ITM to monitor (automated) the CPU on our zLinux guests, but do
not have an effective way to capture when zVM starts taking too much CPU
in an single LPAR.

Does anyone know of how/if ITM (Tivoli) can monitor zVM, or any
shareware tool, Is there a Perfkit method to send a message out when the
system starts to hold high CPU usage in zVM? We have looked at Velocity,
but at the stage have no budget to invest in a tool as zLinux is still
viewed as a test (experimental) platform in our shop

James Chaplin
Systems Programmer, MVS, zVM & zLinux
Base Technologies, Inc
Customs and Border Protection