We are trying to enable VLAN at the Linux OS level and have run into a
problem with Layer 2 frame. Here is our setup and what we are trying to
do:

1) Redhat Linux guest machine running kernel version 2.6.18-1.2747.el5
under z/VM 5.3
2) Using OSA Express 2 with Gigabit port and VLAN enabled at the network
switch with 2 different VLANS.
3) The 2 VLANs are a) a VLAN for IP network for IP traffic and b) a VLAN
for only Ethernet frames (LLC, no IP).
4) Configured 1 Layer 2 VSwitch with 2 VLANs and granted the Network
interface as a trunk to the Linux guest machine.

Our purpose is to use a single VSwitch carrying multiple VLANs with VLAN
tagging performed by the Linux OS.

The problem: we could get the IP VLAN and LLC VLAN tagged by the Linux
guest but there is something with LLC VLAN tagging that is making the
frame get rejected.

We could get this setup working by using 2 layer2 Vswitches using the
same OSA Express card and assigning one network interface from each of
the vswitches to the Linux guest machine as an access port. In this case
the 2 layer2 vswitches are doing the VLAN tagging.

Is what we are trying possible with a single vswitch?

Thank you,
Ashwin